Tuesday 7 June 2011

Organisation

I've been finding it difficult to keep track of tasks and time lately, and this disorganisation has been making my work suffer from chaos-creep.  Fortunately my frighteningly motivated Maternal Unit visited yesterday, administered a swift metaphorical kick to the backside and imparted some of the organisation-foo which helped her obtain an A1 grade for her own Masters' dissertation. 


While the way we broke the dissertation down isn't really relevant to this module, Gantt charts are.  I briefly test-drove a couple of tools, but I've settled on using Tom's Planner as the interface was simple, it's accessible from everywhere online, and though I can't save offline or print from the free version, print-screen is my friend.  It should be just enough to keep me organised and keep me honest.


Another idea which looked useful, though more as a day-planner than for organising a project as such, is this 'daily rind' notion which riffs off a product that Muji came out with a few years ago, the Chrononotebook.  The idea is to take a block of time, represent it as a circle and divide it radially do assigning tasks around the rim.  Again, as a visual thinker and inveterate doodler, this appeals to me - I think it optimises the normally competing ideas of dividing up the day proportionally and sequentially, without restricting the amount of detail you can include.  

No comments:

Post a Comment