Monday 27 June 2011

Visual style

Having selected a few potential topics for my first chart, I am working on the visual style.  Playing to my strengths and looking for a unique and personal approach, I intend to use watercolours to create paintings to illustrate my necessarily digital text.  I will share some of my inspiration in another post, but for now, it's time for experimentation.

I love the way that watercolour's natural variability adds a great deal of texture and life to a picture, especially when used delicately.  The way that the pigments within a colour separate and migrate on the paper, interacting with the texture and water is so variable the results are always unique.  I'm hoping I can produce something appealing.

I feel watercolours might work very well for most topics, and for the subject of heredity may be relatively straightforward, but for my first chart I have set myself rather a challenge (for a change).  I had thought to explore Mars, and am having some difficulty representing the sky at night in watercolour.  A quick google image search wasn't terribly helpful.  Thanks to having read and implemented quite a few watercolour tutorials in the past, my first few sketches using wax resist, alcohol and salt look quite interesting.  They're drying at the moment, so it's time to do a bit more research.

I want to initially explore Mars as a remote body in the night sky, before telescopes, and the attempts to track its motion and apply laws.  For this, I would like to embellish the image of the sky with tracks and equations, but of course subtlety and beauty are my goals here, so I need to take a lot of care.


For a long time I've been a fan of the technical sophistication of the work of Stephanie Pui-Mun Law.  In particular, the way in which her work incorporates delicate structures into subtly washed and textured backgrounds.


Luckily, Ms. Law has been generous enough to share on her blog the process of creating a recent and rather subtle example, entitled Moonbathing.  She discusses various techniques, and emphasises the importance of layering thin washes, with complete drying between.  It's a ludicrously hot day and I have a fan running, so hopefully that will speed things up a little.

Now I have a rough idea of what I want to say, I've storyboarded the points in the timeline I want to cover, it's time to write the script.  Then I'll sketch in more detail, and start the paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment